Quality Control Planer – Night, Georgetown, South Carolina
As a Quality Control Planer at Interfor, you will be responsible for maintaining the lumber grading standards at the Georgetown sawmill.
What You’ll Do
- Serve as the primary liaison for the communication of Quality Control procedures pertaining to lumber grading standards.
- Responsible for the overall training and development of graders.
- Will be directly responsible for the evaluation/feedback portion of the lumber grading and inspection program.
- Meet with lumber inspectors to conduct lumber inspections to ensure proper grading techniques.
- Maintain an excellent working relationship through verbal and written communication with graders to provide continuous feedback.
- Perform pack checks on all graders to ensure they are remaining on grade and to identify any weaknesses they have so that improvements can be made.
- Conduct ongoing grader classes for graders communicating issues or problems and evaluate solutions.
- Conducting shed inspections on #3 and #4 lumbers to verify sawmill defects or natural defects and forwarding this information to the management.
- Conducting wane inspections on 2X6 to 2X4 lumber to ensure proper edging techniques were used.
- Consolidate information and work with Continuous Improvement Tech and the management in Monticello in analyzing opportunities for quality improvements.
- Work closely with Continuous Improvement Tech, and Q.C. Technicians, and Mill Manager to develop and implement an effective Quality Control Program.
- Become involved with machine center studies in an effort to gain more insight into potentials for operational and quality improvements.
- Perform weekly moisture content readings to ensure proper drying.
- Perform any and all duties in a safe manner to ensure no injuries occur.
- Observe all procedures specified in the job safety analysis to prevent any injuries.
- Participate with customers and visit other mill sites.
- Perform any other task deemed necessary by the superintendent or crew leader.
What You Offer
- 6-10 years’ experience in lumber operations
- SPIB Certification required, computer/statistical skills preferred requires good personal relation skills and ability to communicate effectively with high levels of management.
- Must be able to communicate with customers, vendors, inspectors, contractors, co-workers as well as the general public in person, in writing, verbally, by telephone and by radio.
- Must be able to legally operate a licensed motor vehicle upon public highways.
- Must be able to ambulate within the mill environment.
- Must be able to work flexible hours.
- Must be able to manage multiple and constantly changing priorities.
- Must have the ability to reason with individuals on a consistent basis who may not always be thinking rationally at any given time.
Who We Are
Interfor is a growth-oriented forest products company, operating in all major forest products markets across North America. We offer one of the most diverse lines of wood products to customers around the globe, produced in safety-focused, world-class facilities. We strengthen and contribute to the local economies, build value for our employees and customers, and operate with world-leading sustainable forest management practices. We are proud to produce sustainable building materials that contribute to a healthy and sustainable future. Check out www.interfor.com to learn more about our approach to sustainability.
Interfor is one of the largest forest products companies in the world and we’re growing in exciting directions. Come be a part of our success! #StartHereGoFar
What We Offer
Interfor provides local stability and opportunity. We help bring out the best in all our people by offering long-term, competitive jobs supported by training, continued development and great benefits.
We want you to grow your career with Interfor. With our industry leading training programs and track record of promoting from within, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to ‘Start Here. Go Far.’ Check out our Employee Development Programs to learn more at www.interfor.com/careers.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants offered a position must successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and background check. Interfor is an Equal Opportunity Employer building a capable, committed, diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.