Legal Counsel, Peachtree City, Georgia
When you join our team as a Legal Counsel, you will be responsible for providing legal advisory services to Interfor’s operations and corporate teams in the US
South and US Northwest regions (currently, GA, SC, AR, AL, MS, LA, WA, OR) on contracts,
M&A transactions, regulatory compliance, disputes, corporate policies, and
good governance. Based at our Regional Office in Peachtree City, GA and reporting directly to the General Counsel as a party of five lawyer legal
team, the successful candidate will have at least four years of top tier
corporate commercial experience, obtained in a leading law firm and/or
sophisticated corporate in-house environment. As the preferred candidate,
you have excellent contract negotiation and drafting skills, with a practical,
results-oriented approach to solving day-to-day legal issues the company may
face. Prior experience working with public companies, including
transactional experience, combined with excellent interpersonal skills and a team-first
approach will make you the ideal candidate for this role.
What You’ll Do
- Draft, negotiate, and review a wide variety of commercial contracts.
- Update the Company’s contract templates by staying up-to-date with changes in law and judicial decisions, using clear, plain-language drafting skills.
- Support the transactions and operations teams in M&A activity, including due diligence and post-transaction integration.
- Research and draft company-wide policies that meet legal requirements and Company standards in multiple jurisdictions.
- Provide support in the management and resolution of disputes and litigation matters, including working with outside litigation counsel.
- Provide general legal advice and support to operations and corporate teams, including woodlands, log procurement, manufacturing facilities, capital projects, environment, health & safety, sales & marketing, information technology, human resources, sales & marketing and procurement/purchasing.
- Interpret contracts, legal documents, laws, and regulations for leaders in the business and advise on best practices for compliance.
- Provide legal support for special projects and other related duties as required.
What You Offer
- Called to the Bar or capable of being called to the Bar in the State of Georgia. Equivalent qualification in another US State and willingness to transition to Georgia, will also be considered.
- 4+ years of post-qualification experience (PQE) in corporate/commercial, transactions and contracts.
- Experience in the following will be considered advantageous:
- Forest products industry
- US-based manufacturing operations
- In-house experience
- Experience using a contract lifecycle management (CLM) system
- Knowledge or experience in contracts, property law, IT and M&A are all considered an asset, as is an interest in developing a generalist practice that draws on specialized outside resources as necessary.
- Effectively balance business needs and priorities against legal risks, to provide timely, practical legal advice and services.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to write in clear, concise, and plain language.
- Effective problem-solving skills, with a pragmatic mind-set and ability to innovate.
- Comfortable assessing legal frameworks applicable to new and existing businesses across US jurisdictions.
- Able to work independently with supervision and support, as well as collaboratively as a key member of the legal team.
- Able to work effectively with people who have a wide range of seniority, experience, and backgrounds.
- Committed to working with the highest ethics and integrity.
Who We Are
Interfor is a growth-oriented forest products company, operating in all major forest products markets across North America. We offer one of the most diverse lines of wood products to customers around the globe, produced in safety-focused, world-class facilities. We strengthen and contribute to the local economies, build value for our employees and customers, and operate with world-leading sustainable forest management practices. We are proud to produce sustainable building materials that contribute to a healthy and sustainable future. Check out www.interfor.com to learn more about our approach to sustainability.
Interfor is one of the largest forest products companies in the world and we’re growing in exciting directions. Come be a part of our success! #StartHereGoFar
What We Offer
Interfor builds value for our employees by providing a career where they can contribute, grow, and prosper. We offer a competitive salary, based both on what you bring to the role and benchmarked to market conditions. You’ll also get a competitive benefits package including:
Group Benefit Programs (Employee Medical, Dental, Vision Plans)
Short Term Disability Insurance
Long Term Disability Insurance
Life and AD&D Insurance
Additional (Employee Paid) Life Insurance
HSA Medical Plan with Employer Match
401(k) Matching Plan
Participation in our Employee Share Purchase Plan (ESPP)
Employee Assistance Program
We want you to grow your career with Interfor. With our industry leading training programs and track record of promoting from within, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to ‘Start Here. Go Far.’ Check out our Employee Development Programs to learn more at www.interfor.com/careers.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants offered a position must successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and background check. Interfor is an Equal Opportunity Employer building a capable, committed, diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.