Forestry Manager, Timmins, Ontario
When you join our team as a Forestry Manager, reporting to the Chief Forester for Ontario, you will manage a team responsible for forest management planning and silviculture on the company’s two Sustainable Forest Licenses (SFLs), the Spanish & Pineland Forest and will be responsible for driving a strategic and progressive forestry program in Ontario.
The successful candidate will preferably be based out of our Timmins or Nairn Centre facilities.
What You’ll Do
- Manage, coach, and see to the professional development of your team members to enhance their skill level and expertise.
- Provide expertise and guidance to the team to promote, implement and enforce best practices within the department.
- Provide forest management leadership on Sustainable Forest Licenses by overseeing the forest planning and silviculture team.
- Support the development of 10-year forest management plans on the two SFLs by providing expertise on the development of wood supply model inputs, silvicultural ground rules, regeneration standards, Indigenous and public engagement.
- Coordinate the planning, implementation, monitoring & reporting for all silvicultural/renewal activities on the two SFLs, consistent with approved forest management plans, annual work schedules, annual reports, forest certification and environmental management requirements, policies, and legal obligations.
- Act as a primary liaison with Indigenous communities regarding development and implementation of the forest management plans, understanding Indigenous values, and collaboration on various initiatives.
- Act as the key liaison person with the Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry (MNRF), Indigenous communities, tourist operators, and other stakeholders in the development and implementation of forest management plans.
- Collaborate with woodlands operations teams to support implementation of the forest management plans and co-ordination between harvest and silviculture projects.
- Prepare and manage annual silvicultural budgets.
- Secure long-term silviculture contractor capacity by negotiating all silvicultural contracts
- Continuously verify silviculture treatments are appropriate for stand & site conditions & make necessary changes to treatment packages when required. Develop, test, and implement herbicide-reduction and alternative programs in collaboration with Indigenous partners.
- Manage the Forest Renewal Trust Funds by negotiating annual renewal rates, maintenance/monitoring of monthly min balances, submitting monthly reimbursement claims, and providing quarterly updates to MNRF.
- Manage the provincial road funding program for the two SFLs.
- Act as Company’s representative on the Silvicultural Advisory Committee for the co-operative Sustainable Forest License and Northeast Seed Management Association (NeSMA) Board.
- Assist in the development of provincial and regional forest management and silvicultural policy, guidelines, and initiatives as an SFL Representative on various MNRF and forest sector committees.
- Provide leadership for regulatory, third-party forest sustainability and certification audits.
What You Offer
- Hold a University Degree in Forestry, or a related degree.
- Have a minimum of 10 years experience in forest management planning and silviculture, including experience in supervising teams.
- Hold an Ontario Registered Professional Foresters designation or be eligible to apply for RPF status within one year.
- Possess excellent spoken & written English skills, functional French would be an asset.
- Have solid functional skills with GIS.
- Have a valid drivers license and the availability to travel on a regular basis, as needed.
- Demonstrate leadership and flexibility.
- Be self-directed and demonstrate organization and planning skills.
- Communicate effectively and have the interpersonal skills to interact with diverse stakeholders.
- Act professionally, with integrity and discipline.
Who We Are
Interfor is a growth-oriented forest products company, operating in all major forest products markets across North America. We offer one of the most diverse lines of wood products to customers around the globe, produced in safety-focused, world-class facilities. We strengthen and contribute to the local economies, build value for our employees and customers, and operate with world-leading sustainable forest management practices. We are proud to produce sustainable building materials that contribute to a healthy and sustainable future. Check out www.interfor.com to learn more about our approach to sustainability.
Interfor is one of the largest forest products companies in the world and we’re growing in exciting directions. Come be a part of our success! #StartHereGoFar
What We Offer
Interfor builds value for our employees by providing a career where they can contribute, grow, and prosper. We offer a competitive salary, based both on what you bring to the role and benchmarked to market conditions. You’ll also get a competitive benefits package.
We want you to grow your career with Interfor. With our industry leading training programs and track record of promoting from within, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to ‘Start Here. Go Far.’ Check out our Employee Development Programs to learn more at www.interfor.com/careers.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants offered a position must successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and background check. Interfor is an Equal Opportunity Employer building a capable, committed, diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.