Forester in Training, Nairn Centre, Ontario
When you join our team as a Forester in Training, you will report to the Manager – Northshore Forest and work in close collaboration with all members of the woodland team. You will acquire knowledge and experience while familiarizing yourself with all areas of the silviculture operations. You will develop the skills necessary to directly supervise silviculture activities and thus contribute to the success of the company.
What You’ll Do
- Plan, implement, supervise and perform technical functions in silviculture operations and other forest management operations including commercial thinning, site preparation, tree planting, tending, establishing prescriptions in partial harvest forest units, water crossing monitoring, and contract preparation.
- Conduct field assessments on completed operations to ensure adherence to provincial laws and regulations and forest management plan requirements including forest operations inspections, post-harvest logging damage assessments, pre-harvest assessments in partial harvest forest units
- Assist and perform technical functions using Garmin GPS, Avenza Map, ArcGIS mapping systems and Office 365 software including writing reports, collecting field data, harvest depletion mapping,
- Conduct, supervise, liaise and participate in other various related activities as required
What You Offer
- Post-secondary education in forestry with the ability to become a Registered Professional Forester in Ontario
- Eligible to become a Certified Tree Marker in Ontario
- Eligible to become a Certified Compliance Inspector in Ontario
- Interest in working in Great Lakes – St. Lawrence forest type
- Able to work independently and within a small team environment
- Physically capable of walking several hours per day in highly variable terrain and weather conditions
- Effective time management, problem solving and communication skills
- Positive attitude and motivated to complete tasks in a fast paced environment
Who We Are
Interfor is a growth-oriented forest products company, operating in all major forest products markets across North America. We offer one of the most diverse lines of wood products to customers around the globe, produced in safety-focused, world-class facilities. We strengthen and contribute to the local economies, build value for our employees and customers, and operate with world-leading sustainable forest management practices. We are proud to produce sustainable building materials that contribute to a healthy and sustainable future. Check out www.interfor.com to learn more about our approach to sustainability.
Interfor is one of the largest forest products companies in the world and we’re growing in exciting directions. Come be a part of our success! #StartHereGoFar
What We Offer
Interfor builds value for our employees by providing a career where they can contribute, grow, and prosper. We offer a competitive salary, based both on what you bring to the role and benchmarked to market conditions. You’ll also get a competitive benefits package.
We want you to grow your career with Interfor. With our industry leading training programs and track record of promoting from within, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to ‘Start Here. Go Far.’ Check out our Employee Development Programs to learn more at www.interfor.com/careers.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants offered a position must successfully complete a pre-employment background check. Interfor is an Equal Opportunity Employer building a capable, committed, diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.