Environmental, Health & Safety Intern, Ear Falls, Ontario
When you join our team as an Environmental, Health & Safety Intern, you will have the opportunity to work with our Environmental Health & Safety team in implementing and managing world-leading programs and ensuring compliance with all Interfor policies and procedures, as well as the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and other agency regulations.
What We Offer
Interfor builds value for our interns by providing a working experience where they can contribute, grow, and prosper. We offer competitive compensation for students including the following:
- Salaries starting from $3,300 per month based on year in school
- Temporary living and relocation assistance
What You’ll Do
- Facilitate, participate in activities including safety committees, employee-led safety initiatives, safety improvement project teams, etc.
- Assist in the development and implementation of manufacturing safety action plans including emergency response planning and drills.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of employee safety and health communications and training initiatives.
- Assist with site-specific training as required.
- Facilitate or participate in safety and health inspections and audits and ensure the management of compliance with regulatory safety requirements.
- Assist in accident/incident investigations – help with investigative process as well as ensuring follow up actions are applicable and completed in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate light duty and return to work programs by collaborating with 3rd party claims management company.
- Create reports and pull key metrics and safety trends from a safety database.
- Coordinate with other sites to share best practices and ensure consistency where appropriate.
What You Offer
- Working towards an undergraduate degree or diploma in wood products processing, natural resources, forestry, operations manager, human resources management, safety, or other related programs.
- Must have a basic understanding of safety rules and regulations.
- Prior industrial and/or heavy equipment experience is desirable for certain assignments.
- Mechanical aptitude or sawmill optimization experience is an asset, but not required.
- Knowledge of lumber manufacturing principles and processes an asset, but not required.
- Commitment to maintain a safe work environment without compromise.
- Naturally inquisitive with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Possess excellent multitasking, planning, and organizational skills.
- Able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Self-motivated team player with strong work ethic.
- Computer skills and aptitude.
- Working conditions include exposure to mill environment, (heat, cold & noise) and physical functions could include climbing of stairs, ladders and catwalks at elevated levels, walking on even or uneven surfaces, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling.
Who We Are
Interfor is a growth-oriented forest products company, operating in all major forest products markets across North America. We offer one of the most diverse lines of wood products to customers around the globe, produced in safety-focused, world-class facilities. We strengthen and contribute to the local economies, build value for our employees and customers, and operate with world-leading sustainable forest management practices. We are proud to produce sustainable building materials that contribute to a healthy and sustainable future. Check out www.interfor.com to learn more about our approach to sustainability.
Interfor is one of the largest forest products companies in the world and we’re growing in exciting directions. Come be a part of our success! #StartHereGoFar
We want you to grow your career with Interfor. With our industry leading training programs and track record of promoting from within, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to ‘Start Here. Go Far.’ Check out our Employee Development Programs to learn more at www.interfor.com/careers.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants offered a position must successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and background check. Interfor is an Equal Opportunity Employer building a capable, committed, diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.