Environmental, Health & Safety Co-op, Port Angeles, Washington
Who We Are
Interfor is a growth-oriented lumber company with operations in Canada and the United States. We have an annual production capacity of 3 billion board feet and offer one of the most diverse lines of lumber products to customers around the world.
What We Offer
Interfor is where excellence meets opportunity. We invest in your success by positioning you alongside the best people in top quartile mill facilities located in great communities across North America. In the past decade, we’ve infused close to $1 billion into modern facilities and systems that employ the latest technologies.
The goal of our campus recruiting program is to develop Interfor’s next generation of leaders. We are proud of our commitment to students and the success of our campus program in 2020, even given the year’s challenges. At Interfor we strive to be a place where talented and diverse people want to join and build a rewarding career. Our campus program is key to our success in developing future leaders that reflect the diverse communities where we operate.
Interfor is one of the largest lumber companies in the world and we’re growing in exciting directions. Come be a part of our success.
We are currently recruiting for an EHS Co-op to work at either our sawmill in Port Angeles, WA, or Longview, WA.
Our goal is to develop Interfor’s future leaders. EHS Co-op will report to Interfor’s Safety and Environment Manager, but will also work with site EHS Coordinators, HR staff and Supervisory staff. This is a unique opportunity to learn about the real business world and gain valuable, hands-on experience.
What You’ll Do
- Facilitate, participate in activities including safety committees, employee-led safety initiatives, safety improvement project teams, etc.
- Assist in the development and implementation of manufacturing safety action plans including emergency response planning and drills.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of employee safety and health communications and training initiatives.
- Assist with site-specific training as required.
- Facilitate or participate in safety and health inspections and audits and ensure the management of compliance with regulatory safety requirements.
- Assist in accident/incident investigations – help with investigative process as well as ensuring follow up actions are applicable and completed in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate light duty and return to work programs by collaborating with 3rd party claims management company.
- Create reports and pull key metrics and safety trends from a safety database.
- Coordinate with other sites to share best practices and ensure consistency where appropriate.
What You Offer
- Working towards an undergraduate degree or diploma in wood products processing, natural resources, forestry, operations manager, human resources management, safety, or other related programs.
- Must have a basic understanding of safety rules and regulations.
- Prior industrial and/or heavy equipment experience is desirable for certain assignments.
- Mechanical aptitude or sawmill optimization experience is an asset, but not required.
- Knowledge of lumber manufacturing principles and processes an asset, but not required.
- Commitment to maintain a safe work environment without compromise.
- Naturally inquisitive with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Possess excellent multitasking, planning, and organizational skills.
- Able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Self-motivated team player with strong work ethic.
- Computer skills and aptitude.
- Working conditions include exposure to mill environment, (heat, cold & noise) and physical functions could include climbing of stairs, ladders and catwalks at elevated levels, walking on even or uneven surfaces, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling.
Interested in being a part of our team? Apply online at www.interfor.com/careers
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants offered a position must successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and background check. Interfor is an Equal Opportunity Employer building a capable, committed, diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.